Monday, June 20, 2011

My Decision to Work at Home

I feel unbelievably lucky to be able to work at home so that I can be here with my young daughters all day, every day.

When I became pregnant with my first child, I was working full-time as a school counselor.  My baby was due near the end of August, so that meant I would be on maternity leave at the beginning of the school year.  To make a long story short, the administration gave me a really hard time about being on maternity leave at the beginning of the school year and about wanting to take the full 12 weeks I was entitled to.  Dealing with the frustration of this, as well as the guilt of leaving my daughter in daycare once I did go back to work (after only eight weeks) was really rough.  I felt like I was not living up to my expectations of myself in my roles as a wife, mother, or counselor.

After about three months of feeling like this, I decided I needed to make a change.  I started searching for a way to work from home.  I had tried a few work at home businesses in the past, but they were not the right fit for me.  I didn't want to have to carry inventory or to take orders, deliver products, or have parties.

I ran across on ad online that caught my attention.  Not long after being presented with an amazing opportunity, I gave my notice at work and made the choice to become part of a wonderful team that has fully supported me ever since.  It is great to be able to share ideas with my team members and to really feel appreciated for what I do.  

Well, that was August of 2008.  I am still working from home, and I love it!  My husband and I have now been married for six years, our oldest daughter will be four years old this summer, and we also have a seven month old daughter.  I am thrilled to be able to raise my children myself while still having my own career.  My relationship with my husband has even improved because I feel that I am doing what I am meant to do.  I feel fulfilled and successful in my roles as wife, mother, and professional, and that is amazing!

I truly wish that everyone could find something that works as well for them as this does for me.  Making the decision to work from home is the best thing I ever could have done for my family.  I am home with my girls, I am here for my husband, and I am building a solid financial future for us all.  Life really doesn't get any better than this!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christi -
    I'm your newest follower and so glad to hear that you have found such a wonderful team to partner with and build a successful business. Life is good :-) and thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete